This is a documentation of Lindsay Erdman's journey to India - as a teacher, artist, musician.... and whatever else people associate her with. Feel free to visit, read and share comments as time reveals the purpose of this adventure.

Sunday, November 04, 2007


On the road again....

Seems I can't make up my mind between the east or the west...



But for the next few months, I'm hanging around Ashland, Oregon. At first, I wasnt sure why I came to this particular spot, (besides having a very wonderful friend who has a house here and was willing to support my nomadic art making lifestyle), But now, I am starting to understand why so many people come from different parts of the US to settle down here. My intention is to work on my art, and I am very lucky to have met a couple of local artists here who are willing to help me with the development of my techincal skills. My first Friday here was a fun one as I joined in on a gallery open-house, modelled for a portrait painting demonstration, and sang with a bluegrass band, in which there was a female member who played the musical saw!



Ashland is a small city of less than 20, 000 people. I think at least half of those are professional artists, and the others are trying to be. This is home of the organic lifestyle...from food to community....and the place is filled with parks, independent coffee houses, yoga studios, art galleries, and more art galleries. There are no McD's or walmarts. It is also home to the first Elizabethean theatre, upon which our own Stratford theatre is based. There's a university here, and while there are cars here, they share the road with deer and other pedestrians in a very harmonious way - i feel like i'm living in a national park.


These past few days have been an eye-opening experience to myself as a Canadian and my pre-conceived notions of all Americans and their way of life. Time to get off our high horses, and turn down Michael Moore....healthy growing communities are a local thing, not a national doctrine.

Here are some pics of my new surroundings...I saw that deer on my walk this morning; pic of Japanese garden that is a new hangout of mine; my neighbourhood; art activism along the train tracks; a local musician; flower power!